All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: XXIV Corps M14 Rifle
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:46 am 
Colonel
Colonel

vanhahner wrote:
Had to re-post the proper sling setup ! :oops:

:D

Moving your bottom keeper all the way down against the d-ring will keep the sling from working loose on its own. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:48 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

What ever works for you is right.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:57 am 
Surplus Ammunition's Master
Surplus Ammunition's Master

The story of my NM rifle that I have owned since March 2002.

I walked into the Albuquerque Gun Show in March of '02 looking to buy some surplus ammunition, I walked around the coroner to the south side of the building (Lunjan buildings) and the first table on the right had this beautiful M1A with walnut stock and scope. I was in love again with the M14 rifle, he was only asking 1,200$ with a hard case and 5 mags still in the rappers. Old GI nylon sling, no info other that the first owner never shot it and didn't like the rifle after buying it! I bought the rifle on the spot, no questions asked and handed over 12 100$ notes. I packed it all up and was out of that Gun Show before anyone could change their mind.

Once at home I layed out the rifle and took it apart as if I was still in the Army back in '69. That's when I found the NM stamped on the barrel just in front of the stock ferrule. Within two weeks I started making trips out the rifle range down in Albuquerque and documenting it all down in my data book before documenting it here on the Forum . That's when I started buying thousands of rounds of military surplus ammunition from around the world to feed her, oh and she was a hungry girl. I found out what she really liked or just tolerated. The first NM medium weight barrel lasted ~11K rounds, it was bad by then! I bought a new Krieger heavy custom barrel, 1 in12 RH twist, with short chamber cut design. From the last group buy from Krieger. I hand delivered it to the armorer in the next state and waited 48 hours to pick it up and drove back to New Mexico with a completed NM rifle again.

TRW bolt, all GI Trigger assembly, 3rd generation steel SAI mount/rail.

I have picked up the since I bought the rifle 15 years ago.
* Hawks dummy selector kit
* Sadlak NM op rod spring guide.
* 1907 sling marked MRT
* A shooting partner in New México gave me this custom painted vented handguard eight years ago.
* Last year I replaced the Op Rod Spring (w/ a original H-R).
* This past May I added a Overton (TRW) rifle stock by Doug Carlton custom shop.

The TRW stock from Doug Carlton I had to modified because of the heavy barreled NM, to fit correctly into the stock channel to be able to lock-up the barrel assembly. From the center line of the stock Ferrule back towards the center line of the Op Rod Guide is ~6 1/8". The op rod guide for a heavy barrel is 2x the size of a normal op rod guide. With a Dremal tool I made four passes into the channels on both side, a little bite at a time. End result was, 1 ½" long, 3/16" cut into the channel sides. Then 3/4" deep on each side to accommodate the much expanded NM Op Rod Guide size.

My scope is a Springfield Armory Government Model 4-14x56mm with Butler Creek Caps. It has the range finding 2nd generation model glass, from 100 yards to 1,000 yards marked out. Very accurate with the 168 & 175 grain rounds. But her very favorite candy was Lake City Match Grade M852 military surplus ammunition from 1983 to 1991.

;)

"Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns, it's like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds like you have put a lot of tender loving care into that baby !

Profile E-mail