It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Love me some Randall Made
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:29 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Found a brand new Model 5 with Micarta handle.
Added it to the pile

Liked it so much I put in an order with Randall for a Confederate Bowie
If I'm lucky, I'll still be alive when its ready to ship! :?

Post subject: Re: Love me some Randall Made
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One of the best knives made in the U.S. Bigchoad, congratulations!

The Randall story and how it began.

"For me it started very simply as a hobby.

In the summer of 1937 I (W. D. "Bo" Randall) was taking a stroll near Walloon Lake in Michigan when I saw a fellow scraping paint from a boat with a distinctive looking knife.I wasn't much impressed with the man who was using such a fine tool recklessly, but I sure liked his knife, which was standing up to some really tough use. So I bought it. As it turned out, the knife was hand crafted - the first hand-made knife I'd ever seen - by W. W. Scagel. Bill Scagel is justly recognized as a pioneer in hand-made knives.

Back then, his name wasn't widely known, but I was truly impressed with what he'd created at a time when virtually all knives were being mass produced.
A PERSONAL CHALLENGE

I challenged myself to make a knife that was just as good, or at least make the best knife I could make.

My first knife was a simple blade ground from a file. But, before long I had a shop with a small forge and I put a lot of time into crafting knives that I could be proud to make and use myself. And before long, I began selling them at my father-in-law's clothing store in Orlando. As an outdoorsman, I took a lot of personal satisfaction in creating knives that were simple in design, but very functional. And a growing business evolved among friends, fellow sportsmen and sales to a few large sporting goods stores.

Through it all, I managed our family's citrus groves and I continued to think of my hand-made knives as an avocation.

Then, World War II began. A young sailor asked me to make him a knife for use in man-to-man combat. When his friends saw it, they placed orders, and their friends placed orders, and my knives were used in combat, and a reporter wrote a story and...

All hell broke loose.

Suddenly unexpectedly we were in the knife business as envelopes addressed simply to "Knife Man, Orlando, Florida" arrived on the doorstep.

I built a full-scale shop and for the first time began using apprentices. With demand so strong, it was tempting to develop mass production methods.

Now, more than ever, I wanted Randall Made™ to stand for quality and dependability, because servicemen were telling me how much they relied on my knives.

One wrote, "It was a terrible thing at close range. (Your knife) would cut a man's head nearly off with a quick swing... I also used that knife to open cans, cut wood, dress water buffalo... and it stayed sharp. I was offered all kinds of trades, but I wouldn't part with it." Since that time, Randall Made™ knives have been used extensively by soldiers and Marines, flyers and sailors, generals and infantrymen.

Our customers have also included astronauts, government agents, celebrities, statesmen and royalty. Most importantly to me, there are thousands upon thousands of individuals who choose Randall Knives because they need a superbly crafted knife they can count on in the home and in the field. Or, as is often the case today, they've wanted to have a Randall Made™ knife in their collection.

For some years now, my son, Gary, has been instrumental in the business. He is honored, as I am, that Randall Made™ knives are on display in museums, as well as in many private collections of fine weapons and armor.

That's one of the reasons we decided to issue a limited edition Collector's Knife to commemorate our 50th anniversary. And we were most gratified when all 300 knives were ordered so quickly.

But frankly, our favorite models are those specifically designed to be carried and used day in and day out, year after year. The reason is because, like many of you, Gary and I are both sportsmen, so we make knives we want to use.

Over the years, I've had the good fortune to talk to many of our customers personally. Many, many more have written to compliment the design, craftsmanship and durability of their Randall Made™ knife, and I cherish every one of those letters.

But, I'm most grateful to those who have made suggestions on ways to improve our knives. Even though some have said "they're perfect," we know there is always room for refinement.

In short, for me and every man who crafts a Randall Made™ knife, the challenge today is exactly the same as it was 50 plus years ago: To fashion the best knife we can make."

The Tradition Continues

W. D. "Bo" Randall passed away December 25, 1989 at his home after visiting with all his family earlier in the day. Bo and his son Gary managed the business side by side for over twenty-five years. Gary continues the tradition of hand crafting knives that bear the Randall Made trademark along with his sons, Jason and Michael, of the next Randall generation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:42 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

That looks like a "slab side" grind (handle is decidedly *not* round-ish).

They don't do those any more unless it's a #10 or Dealer Special (e.g. Stanaback Special).

The "place an order directly with the shop" lead-times are running about 4.5yrs nowadays. You're allowed to put one in every three months. I get an order in every 15th of Feb/May/August/November. Next year, late, I'll be receiving my first regular knife ordered this way (Fireman's Special).

If you don't want to wait, you can order from a dealer. Shop-Authorized dealers can work with you on what custom options you desire and have the shop build your knife as part of their order. They're allowed to put in a batch order four times a year and turnaround time for these orders is measured in "months" instead of "years. The number of knives they request is not public information and I suspect it varies dealer-to-dealer. Some dealers bump the price up, some sell at (or very near) catalog prices.

I have a few already in my possession. Some ordered from a dealer (Chris Stanaback in Florida), some ordered from the shop when they had special runs that would take less than a year. Those "special runs" are now listed as the Model 27M Copper Miniature and "Model 27 Mini Trailblazer" -- both being rather small knifes, "girly sized" if you will. side note: these knives are earmarked for my granddaughter when she's old enough to handle them safely. :-)

One of my everyday knives is a RKCC club knife, #89 out of 100. Looks exactly like this: http://rkcc-rkca.com/content/catalog/6

I also carry a benchmade for the "ugly" duties. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Randall-Made-Mo ... Swn-tZJydq

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Um, I don't get it. Why pay a huge price and wait so long for a simple knife (piece of sharp steel with a handle)?

There are a zillion knives in the world available instantly and cheaply. There are very nice ones too. Buck and Western Cutlery are brands that come to mind. Flea markets are full of nice knives for just a few bucks.

My daily carry knife cost $12. It works fine. If I lose it, I have a number of spares on hand at all times. When I need an especially rugged knife for the boonies I get one of my nicer ones out, but I would never take something to the field I paid an arm and leg for and waited 5 years for.

Shoot. Those things cost more than most of my rifles.

What am I missing?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:50 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

First time I heard of Randall knives was in about 1981. I had a buddy in college who was in a SF reserve outfit out of Charleston, WV. He had bought a Randall for his use when they trained here and there around the world.

He told me what it cost him (seemed astronomical to me back then as a college student working my way through school). I asked the same questions about why he would spend so much money on a knife. He explained that he had to be able to depend on that knife. He said the guys in his outfit had told him about all the broken Gerber knives they'd seen/tossed away and someone had bought a Randall and as time went on and they saw how Randall knives performed more guys bought Randalls.

I wonder if he still has it?

At the time, he was really enjoying it. Once a month he'd pack some stuff in his car and had down to Charleston.

He said he never knew where they were going till he got down there and they were briefed. He said they'd get on a plane and they might jump into Alaska, Panama, Puerto Rico, who knows. They'd run a training mission (like kidnapping a local official/military leader, setting up ambushes/IEDs, etc.) and then go through a debriefing on Sunday and fly home.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm. Well, I'm not jumping into Panama to kidnap politicians or anything. Maybe I'll stick to my Buck knife for now. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are always people out there that want, or have an appreciation for the very best.

If you have the extra money to do so, why not ? I knew a guy who was a mechanic who had a full set of very expensive Snap-on tools that were beautifully sculptured in heavily polished chrome. For the price of just one crescent wrench, you could of bought several Craftsmen wrench's at Sear's! He like working with the best. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm that way with astronomical optics.
I guess it's where you want to focus. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:31 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Sustinemus wrote:
... wait so long...

What am I missing?

I consider it as "a gift for 'future me'." :D

You certainly don't have to play the "order it and wait" game, just buy it from a dealer (see my previous post).

Unused Randall knives that are 1mo, 1yr, or one decade old are generally worth the "today value" for a similar knife, barring any oddball "gotta have it" features that collectors like.

You're not losing 40% of the value driving it off of the lot. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:39 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Bigchoad wrote:
Found a brand new Model 5 with Micarta handle.
Added it to the pile

Liked it so much I put in an order with Randall for a Confederate Bowie
If I'm lucky, I'll still be alive when its ready to ship! :?

The exact one I carried in the Marines 40+ years ago. It is in the gunsafe now waiting on my grandsons.

Don