It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Eclipse- 8-21-2017
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:56 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

In my part of the country, this total solar eclipse is getting a lot of hype. The chamber of commerce is talking up how much money local businesses will make that day, if not that weekend. I'm hearing guesstimates of 60k-120k extra people packed into the area for a day or two to witness the sun being blocked for about two minutes. The businesses to benefit most will be restaraunts, motels, and gas stations. The rest of us... I don't see it.

I wonder how much of our tax dollars it'll cost to clean up all the garbage that crowd will leave. They'll probably have a prison work detail handle a good bit here, but elsewhere, I don't know.

I've heard lately that several state govts... from South Carolina to Oregon... are talking about bringing in the national guard for "crowd control". Let me get this straight... they're bringing in part-time soldiers to police Americans on American soil. And these people are supposedly peaceably assembled to witness a naturally occurring phenomenon. I don't know.

I think I'd just avoid crowds that day.

How 'bout y'all?

Pro-gunner: "You're right. You wake up. It's 2am. A strange man is standing over your bed with a butcher knife. Quick! Hit him with your brain!"

Post subject: Re: Eclipse- 8-21-2017
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I ALWAYS avoid crowds, moon shadow or not.
;)
Being a life-long amateur astronomer, I've been waiting for this eclipse my whole life since the centerline is just a short drive away and there are no jets, customs, or natives involved. I'll be miles away from any paved roads with only antelope and jackrabbits for company.

Just the way I like it. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:32 pm 
Surplus Ammunition's Master
Surplus Ammunition's Master

Sustinemus wrote:
;)
Being a life-long amateur astronomer, I've been waiting for this eclipse my whole life since the centerline is just a short drive away and there are no jets, customs, or natives involved. I'll be miles away from any paved roads with only antelope and jackrabbits for company.

You're a lucky man.

Enjoy the experience for all of us that are going to be missing it in person.

"Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns, it's like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:07 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

XXIV Corps wrote:
Sustinemus wrote:
;)

You're a lucky man.

Enjoy the experience for all of us that are going to be missing it in person.

From y'all's angles I'd say the same thing. One of my friends was telling me the nights she tried to see the blood moons, it clouded up and rained. She's hoping to see this eclipse.

I heard today there's gonna be another total eclipse 7yrs after this one, never to happen again. That one's supposed to come across from another angle and between those two, it'll draw an X across the U.S.

Pro-gunner: "You're right. You wake up. It's 2am. A strange man is standing over your bed with a butcher knife. Quick! Hit him with your brain!"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:43 am 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Last night, from another source, I heard the crowd is already showing up in rural parts of Oregon and gas prices have increased $.30/gallon.

I just got back from lunch and Walmart. If anything, crowds in my area are slack compared to usual. One restaraunt usually gets pretty chaotic in the 12o'clock hour... their crowd was pretty slack and calm. Walmart was supposed to be covered up all this weekend and so far, that hasn't happened either.

I'm thinking the manufactured mania may be working against the CoC's goal of a weekend spike in sales. Then again, Monday ain't over yet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:10 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Shined up a few welding masks from the shop. We are only supposed to get 67% here. Good enough for me.
Enjoy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:52 am 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Well, I saw it... didn't last long. My niece enjoyed it, but now she's hollering about wanting to see Jupiter. I'm not sure if it was visible... there were two that were right then.

This one plane flying around... it's a 10-seater and the guy sold rides... see the eclipse from the air for $4k/seat.

One trail ride outfit here advertised how they jacked up their prices (from $35) to $125 to ride horses during the eclipse.

Hey, it's something you don't see everyday... and won't for a while.