It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The new Road Agent side-by-side 12-gauge coach gun
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I turned 7 in the fall of 1954. Handing a 7 year-old a can of starter fluid, and matches was considered "asking for trouble" back then.

Bald-Faced Hornet http://www.gregspestsolutions.com/Quick ... t_crop.jpg

Yellow-Jacket Wasp http://images.wisegeek.com/yellow-jacket.jpg

Paper Wasp http://wildaboututah.org/images/CanePolistesWasp1.jpg

These are the most familiar wasps and hornets I've found in the US.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The yellow jackets around here build their nests in the ground. If you put out a trap for the queens in early spring its pretty easy to keep an area clear of them. They won't mess with you if you ignore them.

The hornets we have are bigger and blacker than the yellow jackets. If you accidentally bump a branch they have built their paper nest on, they will attack. Meaner than a cut snake. Don't see them much though.

The mud daubers can be seen almost year round. Docile as can be.

We have a small black wasp here that kills tomato worms! Wish I saw more of them.

I've come across tarantula hawks at White Sands. Big scary looking hyperactve things look like they could give a bird a hard time. They kill tarantulas. I have some pictures of them. I'll post one when I can get to my computer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This dude (and 8 or 10 of his buddies) are about 2 or 2-1/4 inches long. They were working on some spilled soda pop on a patio in the shade one morning around 10AM. Temperature was right around 100 F (the shade felt good).

I didn't want to mess with them and didn't want to get any closer.

Here's another one in different light:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It was hard to get pictures of these dudes without blurring since they were in constant motion. Nervous and agitated acting.

Nahh, we don't hijack threads around here... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey, I like this hijack!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What he said !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:21 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Around here, we have two or three kinds of hornets. The first kind was native to North America to begin with. Then they imported a similar type from Europe to "control" the native type. Then, I guess it's been 25-30yrs since I started seeing these big yellow/black African hornets they brought in to control the European hornets. I read somewhere that, with the black and baldface hornets, most problems occur when they nest too close to humans.

Those baldface hornets... several years back, we were sitting on the porch and swatting flies. Well, every time we'd put a dead fly up on the banister, this one hornet would fly in and carry it off... I guess they ordered take-out.

I only recall one guy getting stung by one African hornet. The only reason I know is Daddy said he saw it happen to a co-worker. They said it hurt too. I always figured an African hornet for a hunter... never saw one just up and attack.

We have the mud daubers here too. They'll fill up any threaded hole you need open... any vent you need open... kinda funny in a way, because otherwise, they ain't hurtin a thing. I figure they're the ones I've seen a lot of times buzzing around horse manure. There's an outfit that sells wasp larvae to be added to a stable's main manure pile. I've never done that, but my horses have never stayed in stalls that long, and like I say, the wasps are already here.

That little black wasp that kills tomato worms... I'll have to ask around, but I'm not aware of them here.

Yellow jackets... I'll have to look into trapping the queens. I've had them build a paper nest between two hay bales and we were lucky nobody got stung. Best thing I ever saw happen naturally to a yellow jacket nest was the time I watched a skunk tear it up. :)

Well, no tarantula hawks around here. No tarantulas either. I'll have to poke around some, but I don't recall black widow or brown recluse having natural predators.

Pro-gunner: "You're right. You wake up. It's 2am. A strange man is standing over your bed with a butcher knife. Quick! Hit him with your brain!"