It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: From a cop !
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A police officer review about the FNH 5.7x28 Pistol:

"I am a 6 foot, 225 lb. police officer and this is my duty weapon. With a Streamlight TLR1 on the rail and SS190 (LE only) ammo, riding in a Safariland model 6285 SLS holster, it’s still WAY lighter than the reliable Glock Model 22.

I have fired well over 2500 rounds out of the pistol, of all of the available ammo types with zero malfunctions and trenendous enjoyment.

I will say that I only opted to carry this pistol over the larger (and proven) .40 S&W caliber after a lot of research and hands on time with it.

A great majority of my decision was based on a few things.

A). Although I’m a fairly strong fella, and I took a lot of grief from my fellow cops about my “little gun” the LOW recoil enabled me to make 20 consecutive, accurate head shots in about 3 seconds from 7 yards. This thing is like shooting a laser. The capacity of the pistol (20+1) is a strong positive too.

B). The LE only SS190 ammo available to me will penetrate body armor and most “household” light barriers, while yawing in soft tissue creating an impressive wound channel and stopping after 11 inches or so, which is comparable to the larger bore penetration numbers.

C) Practice ammo cost is about $20 for 50 rounds of the SS197 stuff. Seems comparable to practice 40 ammo for that price.

D). As a cop, I’m guessing I stand a pretty good chance of having “my shootout” during a traffic stop. I have seen what 40 cal bullets will (not) do when shot into a car trying to neutralize an occupant. I tested the SS190 LE ammo against a car and it will defeat door skins, the window mechanisms inside, windshield glass, car rims (steel and alloy), and all the things that are between me and the threat. That’s stuff that the 40, 9, and 45 just won’t do, as I have seen 1st hand in real shootings and during training/testing.

E) The muzzle velocity of the 5.7 is high enough (2,200 fps) that when soft tissue is hit, it tears the elastic tissue, much like a rifle round. A standard handgun round will typically allow the elastic tissue to remain in tact and the bullet hole “closes”, restricting blood flow and leaving muscle in tact. This would likely prolong your threats ability to fight. I’m for neutralizing the threat as FAST as possible.

As far as the safety spoke about above, I simply don’t use it. Much like I never did on my first semi auto duty pistol in the mid 90’s (Smith 4006). After all, the only true safety is the operator. I do agree the positioning could be better, but its a non-factor to me, but may be of great importance to someone who actually uses it.

I have owned this pistol for three years and have carried it daily as my duty pistol for a year. I can honestly say it was worth my money and I have not been unimpressed as of yet.

The only complaint I have is the failure of FNH to make the sights a bit more modular so I could replace the factory sights with low light/night sights of my choice.

In my opinion, a great defensive weapon that is light enough to be carried concealed, big enough to serve as a duty pistol, hyper accurate, low enough recoil for even the smallest female (like my 13 year old daughter) to shoot accurately and quickly and high enough capacity that one mag oughta do ya.

What’s not to love! (Besides the price)"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: From a cop !
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cute little cartridges, aren't they? :!:

Post subject: Re: From a cop !
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, basically a 22 super, super magnum ! :D