It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Had a good weekend, the war baby stole the show
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:26 am 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

I had a cousin visiting from the State of Mossouri (pronounced 'misery' :D ), so I took he and Brother in Law down to the sand pit for some R&R. My other cousin decided not to go, something about his ovaries were bothering him...

We set up a steel swinger, a Fred's paper 100 yard reduced for 25 target, and a couple of jugs at the far side, (about 180ish yards, but it's kinda hard to step it off across the water ;) ), and another swinger, paper, and jug set up across the short side, about 75 yards.

I took an AK 74, the SOCOM, an Inland carbine, a Springfield Garand, and Bro in Law brought one of those black thingies JR loves so much. We went at a bad time, as we were trying to dodge as much of the 100 degree heat as we could, we went a couple of hours before dark. Unfortunately, the sun setting on the water made it almost impossible to shoot for about an hour until it went behind the trees.

Now my cousin is an unabashed FUDD. He's a big hunter, basically hunts anything that moves in MO, but he owns a 22, an '06, and a 12ga. He said he didn't think he'd ever shot more than 3 rifle rounds in one setting. He was a little amazed when I cracked open a case of carbine food and told him to start loading them into the pile of mags on the tailgate.

Once we finally got down to shooting, I was having trouble with the AK (aren't these things supposed to be infallible?), so that wasn't any fun. He tried it a couple of rounds, but it was failing to chamber about every 4th round (Century is supposed to have a new mag catch en route). Next he tried Bro. in Law's lil black rifle and said it was OK.

I handed him the carbine and a 15 round mag, and he promptly busted a couple of jugs on the short side, and dinged the steel a couple of times. He chuckled. Then he turned to the long side, and hit the swinger on his 3rd or 4th try. He laughed out loud, and I knew we had a convert.

By this time he needed a new mag, and was a little sheepish about asking for it, so I gave him two. He kept saying he couldn't believe how accurate this little thing is. Next he turned his attention to the far jugs, and after a few tries, popped a couple of them.

Of course, BIL and I were going to town most of the time, and I knocked down the swinger with the Garand (shot off one of the cold shuts attaching the chain :oops: ). I called a cease fire and went to rehang it and move some jugs where we could see them. He liked the SOCOM and the Garand, but he kept going back to the carbine. He said he couldn't imagine Pappaw (our grandfather) packing that big heavy Garand all the way across Europe, and I think it was his second favorite, but no where close to the Carbine.

We finally ran out of targets just in time to police our brass and targets in the twilight. I wasn't sure I wasn't going to have to wrestle him to get my carbine back, but he put it back in the case without issue. When we got home (we had about 30 family members over visiting :?: ), he told everyone how much fun it was 'just shooting for no reason'. :)

I'm hoping he'll use the CMP web address I gave him. ;)

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
He laughed out loud, and I knew we had a convert.

Heh heh heh heh hehhhh.... The infection spreads... :)

:D

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Every man has his weakness, you just have to find the right weapon !

GOOD JOB EAT BEEF ! ;)

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:04 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Very nice! :D

Carbines are just about the perfect fun plinking guns.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:20 pm 
Master Lieutenant General
Master Lieutenant General

Location: South of the north pole in the land of falling waters
The pit is a good place to play around like that , it makes it easy to find the cases ! ;) Whenever I shoot my carbine in the back yard I hafta search the grass jungle to find them .

Hey ................ since you got water to use , it's time to get a radio controled boat and pull some targets around don't ya think ?

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:55 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Now there's an idea.

Maybe I can sneak one on Number One Son's Christmas list? :)

I know, I'm evil. :oops:

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Had a good weekend, the war baby stole the show
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:12 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Eat Beef wrote:
My other cousin decided not to go, something about his ovaries were bothering him...

I nearly popped one of my "ovaries" reading this! :)

Sounds like a fun shooting trip & I really enjoyed the write-up! Thanx! :!:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What's not to like about a carbine for plinking. It appeals to the hunter cowd, it's steel and wood. It appeals to the modern crowd, high-cap detachable mags. It's accurate on targets, as long as you don't expect sub-MOA paper-punching ability. It's light, close-coupled, and reliable.

As for my "favorite black thingie", it could only meet those parameters in it's wildest fantasies. Bleech! :?:

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I thought he meant something from Victorious Egret.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:34 am 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Doops, DVL, I had already left the thread when I figured out what 'Victorious Egret' was. :oops: :D

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]